We typically need volunteer editors, researchers, legal advisors, grant writers, fund raisers, programmers and much much more. If you would like to volunteer your services or ask further questions, please contact us for more information.
We Are Currently Seeking:
WEB APPLICATION PROGRAMMER (LEAD POSITION) - with Ruby, Perl, Java & SQL experience (Apply for this position.)
We are in the process of building a new, online database and publishing system that will allow our volunteer editors around the world the ability to collaborate on the collection, research and development of the prayer archive.
For this purpose, we are seeking a volunteer WEB APPLICATION PROGRAMMER who is capable of taking the LEAD POSITION on the development of this new system.
We are currently considering Ruby on Rails as the preferred development platform but are open to other recommendations.
At present, the World Prayers website is the most popular site of it's kind in the world. Serving a million global visitors annually. Everyone involved in the project is serving as a volunteer. The web project was first launched in Dec 1999 and soon after received a 2001 Webby Award nomination. With the right volunteer team in place, the future of the project looks very bright.
Lead Application Programmer will need to have:
- Ability to provide knowledgable strategic advice
- Strong programming skills with object-oriented languages, particularly Ruby and Java
- Excellent relational database modeling skills
- Experience in software design and requirements definition
- Proficiency with SQL
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- High level of attention to detail and work quality
- Desire to support the intentions of the World Prayers Project.
Responsibilities will include:
- Oversee development of new web application
- Organize and manage additional volunteer programmers as needed
- Work with team members to develop implementation plans
- Requirement documents and architecture specifications
- Execute implementation plans with high-quality, readable, documented code
- Contribute, as necessary, to quality assurance efforts
- Design relational database models
Nice to have but not necessarily required:
- B.S. in Computer Science or related field
- At least 10 years of relevant work experience
Please Note. Anyone interested in this position is invited to submit our application form. Applicants determined as qualified will receive a detailed RFP for their review and consideration. The RFP contains a full description of the application's technical requirements.